Nouveau

Monastère de Rozhen

Monastère de Rozhen


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Le monastère de Rozhen est un monastère médiéval offrant une vue imprenable sur la région de Pirin en Bulgarie, considérée comme la plus grande de la région. Alors qu'une grande partie du monastère de Rozhen date du XVIIIe siècle, il existe des preuves qu'il existait dès 890 après JC.

Perché sur une montagne, le monastère de Rozhen semble avoir été construit pour se fondre dans son environnement. Le monastère s'est développé au fil des siècles et, au 14ème siècle, le monastère de Rozhen aurait été réputé pour son école de calligraphie. Pourtant, l'un des aspects les plus célèbres du monastère de Rozhen est son église de la Nativité de la Mère de Dieu, également construite au Moyen Âge.

Au XVIIe siècle, une grande partie du monastère de Rozhen a été dévastée par un incendie et a été rénovée à la fin des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles. Aujourd'hui, les visiteurs du monastère de Rozhen peuvent voir les résultats de ces rénovations, notamment ses magnifiques sculptures sur bois et ses peintures murales, dont certaines datent du XVe siècle. Ses vitraux, parmi les plus anciens du pays, sont également impressionnants.

A proximité se trouve le lieu de sépulture du leader révolutionnaire bulgare Yane Sandanski, décédé non loin du monastère de Rozhen le 22 avril 1915.

Ce site figure également parmi nos dix principales attractions touristiques en Bulgarie.


Monastère de Rozhen - Histoire

La présence des Franciscains en Terre Sainte remonte aux origines mêmes de l'Ordre des Frères Mineurs qui a été fondé par saint François d'Assise en 1209. En 1217, la Province de Terre Sainte a été établie lorsque le Chapitre général a divisé l'Ordre. dans plusieurs provinces.

La Province de Terre Sainte comprenait le lieu où le Christ est né, où il a exercé son ministère, et où il est mort et est ressuscité. Pour cette raison, la Province de Terre Sainte était considérée comme le joyau parmi les autres provinces. Saint François lui-même est resté plusieurs mois en Terre Sainte au cours de 1219-1220.

En 1291, la ville de Saint-Jean-d'Acre, dernière place forte des croisés, tombe aux mains des musulmans. Les franciscains trouvèrent refuge à Chypre. Le pape Jean XXII a permis au ministre provincial de Terre Sainte d'envoyer chaque année deux frères dans les Lieux Saints. Malgré les difficultés, les Frères Mineurs ont continué à exercer toutes les formes possibles d'apostolat.

Ce n'est qu'en 1333 qu'il y eut un retour définitif des Frères Mineurs en Terre Sainte avec possession légale de certains Lieux Saints et droit d'usage pour d'autres. Par la médiation du franciscain Roger Guérin, ils obtinrent du sultan d'Égypte l'emplacement du Cénacle et le droit d'officier aux liturgies de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre. Il a été établi que les Frères Mineurs exerceraient ces droits au nom du monde chrétien.

Ce projet a été approuvé en 1342 par le pape Clément VI avec les bulles Gratias Agimus et Nuper Carissimo. Dès lors, il fut établi que les frères affectés à la Terre Sainte pourraient provenir de n'importe quelle province de l'Ordre et une fois au service de la Terre Sainte, ils seraient sous la juridiction du Père Custode, le « Gardien du Mont Sion en Jérusalem."

En 1623, la Province de Terre Sainte fut réorganisée en plusieurs entités plus petites appelées Custodies. C'est ainsi qu'a été créée la Custodie de Terre Sainte.

Les Frères Mineurs sont donc les gardiens officiels des Lieux Saints par le désir et à la demande de l'Église Universelle. Le pape Paul VI, le premier pape depuis saint Pierre à visiter la Terre Sainte, a rappelé ce fait. Il a été confirmé par le Pape Jean-Paul II lors de son pèlerinage au cours de l'année du Grand Jubilé, 2000 après JC.

Aujourd'hui, l'apostolat de la Custodie s'exerce dans les pays suivants : Israël, Palestine, Jordanie, Syrie, Liban, Egypte et les îles de Chypre et Rhodes. Quelque 300 frères sont présents dans ces pays et travaillent en collaboration avec une centaine de sœurs de différentes congrégations. Les franciscains servent les principaux sanctuaires de la Rédemption dont le Saint-Sépulcre, la Nativité à Bethléem et l'Annonciation à Nazareth, qui occupent une place de choix. Ce travail s'est développé pour inclure le soutien aux écoles et aux missions en Terre Sainte ainsi que les soins aux réfugiés et autres personnes dans le besoin dans toute la région.


Monastère de Rozhen

La Bulgarie est un pays d'histoire et de traditions anciennes. Les historiens disent qu'il y a un morceau d'histoire dans chaque petit rocher. De nos jours, le pays révèle sa majesté et sa beauté par de riches expositions muséales. Les principaux centres de culture et de traditions sont les monastères.

L'un des plus grands monastères bulgares est le monastère de Rozhen. Le bâtiment est situé dans la région de la montagne Pirin. Le monastère est proche de Melnik &ndash, la plus petite ville de Bulgarie. À seulement 1 km. sépare le temple du village de Rozhen. Chaque année, de nombreux touristes grecs visitent cet endroit. Le monastère est à 16 km. loin de Sandanski. L'histoire du temple est liée à l'histoire grecque. Selon les historiens, le nom du musée a été trouvé pour la première fois dans un livre d'historien grec du XIIIe siècle. Malheureusement, il n'y a pas de date d'implantation du bâtiment. L'histoire bulgare nous apprend qu'à cette époque, la région de Melnik était gouvernée par le neveu du roi Kalojan, Slav. De nombreux historiens pensent que le neveu du roi a ordonné la construction du monastère. Un fait intéressant à propos du temple nous apprend que c'était le seul monastère restauré à l'époque de la présence ottomane dans les Balkans. L'édifice sacré a eu la chance de survivre au cours des siècles. Aux XVIIIe et XIXe siècles, le monastère était un centre célèbre des rebelles bulgares. Aujourd'hui, le bâtiment est fier de présenter aux visiteurs ses fresques uniques et ses iconostases sculptées. Les sculptures sur bois et les vitraux confèrent au monastère une renommée internationale. L'un des faits qui rend le bâtiment si célèbre et unique concerne le bâtiment du monastère. Tous ont été construits à des époques différentes. Les plus importants d'entre eux sont les XVIe, XVIIe et XIXe siècles. La salle à manger du monastère a été achevée au XVIe siècle. A la fin du XVIIe siècle, une partie de la décoration murale était prête. Après tout, au XIXe siècle, le monastère a reçu un clocher.

Si vous décidez de faire un voyage au monastère de Rozhen, vous devez savoir que l'endroit n'offre pas de chambres ou de nourriture pour les visiteurs. Cependant, la ville de Melnik vous rencontrera avec sa nature charmante et ses habitants sympathiques.


Monastère de Rozhen - Histoire

L'histoire du monastère d'Iviron fondé par les Géorgiens sur le mont Athos en 980-983 est l'une des sources les plus importantes qui reflètent la présence géorgienne au monastère, ainsi que les relations géorgiennes-byzantines et, plus tard, géorgiennes-ottomanes.

Le projet de recherche que j'ai mis en œuvre au Centre de recherche universitaire de Koc pour les civilisations anatoliennes visait à aborder l'aspect même de l'histoire d'Iviron. Mon objectif était de rechercher, de traiter et de traduire les sources conservées dans les archives d'Istanbul, et de préparer la base d'une étude universitaire plus approfondie de ces documents importants.

Grâce à l'article proposé, pour la première fois, la communauté universitaire se voit offrir la possibilité de poursuivre des recherches de manière indépendante en appliquant les sources ottomanes fournies et leurs traductions.

Les documents que j'ai explorés aux archives ottomanes du bureau du Premier ministre à Istanbul datent de 1850-1911. Ceux-ci comprennent sept dossiers et trente documents, et quatre d'entre eux sont écrits en grec.

Les documents présentés ici décrivent principalement l'état de détresse du Monastère d'Iviron les sources indiquent ses dettes envers certains particuliers, la saisie des terres, le conflit avec les Bulgares et l'attaque du Monastère.

  1. Le document concernant un terrain litigieux à Melnik, propriété du Monastère d'Iviron sur le mont Athos qui devait être remis aux Bulgares (BEO 3875- BÂB-Î ÂLI EVRAK ODASI- la chambre du Grand Vizir et du Conseil d'Etat ottoman), daté de 1911
  2. Le document sur le terrain contesté dans le district de Gilimrie à Thessalonique (CML CEVDET MALİYE - finances)
  3. Le document sur la répression de l'attaque menée par les pères du monastère d'Iviron sur le lieu de pêche des pères du monastère de Hilandar dans le district de Sidre Kapi à Thessalonique (HR.MKT- HARİCİYE NEZARETİ MEKTUBİ KALEMİ EVRAKI - registres du service de la correspondance, bureau des affaires étrangères) daté de 1850
  4. Le document concernant l'attaque du monastère d'Iviron où des moines ont été agressés et volés (TFR. 1. M &ndash RUMELİ MÜFETTİŞLİĞİ MÜTEFERRİK EVRAKI - documents sur diverses dépenses du département de surveillance de Rumeli), daté de 1906
  5. Constats de la commission précisant qu'un terrain abandonné d'Aladyave situé dans la région de Cassandre n'appartenait pas au monastère d'Iviron (TFR. 1. M&ndash RUMELİ MÜFETTİŞLİĞİ MÜTEFERRİK EVRAKI - documents sur diverses dépenses du département de tutelle de Rumeli), en date de 1902
  6. Le document sur la demande de Vangeli&rsquos relative au recouvrement de créance du Monastère d'Iviron sur le Mont Athos (TFR.1. ŞKT - RUMELİ MÜFETTİŞLİĞİ ARZUHALLER &ndash déclarations du département de tutelle de Rumeli), daté de 1908
  7. Déclaration de Vangeli&rsquos soumise au tribunal précisant la demande de procédure judiciaire accélérée aux fins de recouvrement de créances auprès du monastère d'Iviron (TFR.1. ŞKT- RUMELİ MÜFETTİŞLİĞİ ARZUHALLER - déclarations du département de surveillance de Rumeli), en date de 1908.

Une grande partie des sources disponibles est fragmentée et relate simplement des épisodes des événements qui se sont produits sur le mont Athos. Afin de restituer l'ensemble de l'image, il est nécessaire d'obtenir des sources se référant aux lieux, événements et individus spécifiés. Malheureusement, le système d'archives turc n'est pas bien structuré et organisé, les sources ne sont pas correctement organisées et le catalogue est incomplet. Un autre défi qui rend l'enquête sur le sujet encore plus compliquée est que la recherche se concentre sur le monastère et les chrétiens qui sont parmi les questions sensibles en Turquie.

Cette fois, je présenterai à la communauté universitaire le premier élément des sources énumérées ci-dessus (que j'ai explorées) faisant référence à une parcelle de terrain contestée (le métochion). Ce sont les cinq sources du monastère de Rozhen situé à Melnik (XIII e s. par Hijri).

Malheureusement, les dossiers sont fragmentés et ne donnent pas une image complète de la question en discussion. Des sources classées chronologiquement révèlent que les pères bulgares du monastère de Rozhen ont exigé son retour des pères grecs. Les sources démontrent le soutien turc envers les Bulgares. Par exemple, selon le gouverneur de Thessalonique, les Grecs avaient 78-80 églises dans cette région tandis que l'église bulgare était le seul endroit où les Bulgares pouvaient organiser le service divin. Il est souligné que des moines grecs tentent de politiser cet incident qui, selon le gouverneur de Thessalonique, peut entraîner des tensions entre deux nations et même provoquer l'émergence de zones de troubles. Le télégramme du gouverneur Ibrahim révèle que les Grecs, en violation de la loi, ont refusé de céder les cellules de l'église et autres bâtiments aux Bulgares. Selon l'une des sources, malgré la décision de justice d'attribuer l'église litigieuse aux Bulgares, les pères d'Iviron ont désobéi à la décision de justice en fermant la porte de l'église et en donnant la clé à un moine étranger (ni grec ni bulgare d'origine). Malheureusement, la nationalité de ce "moine étranger" reste indéterminée dans la source. Il est à noter qu'aucune des sources que j'ai examinées dans les archives ne mentionne un nom géorgien. De plus, au lieu du monastère de Rozhen, les formes &ldquoRozina&rdquo, &ldquoRoznia&rdquo ou &ldquoRozen&rdquo sont indiquées tout au long des sources. Il en va de même pour le monastère géorgien : les sources précisent cinq formes différentes du nom telles que Ivirun, Iveriron, Iver, Ivirun et Iviro. Tout savant qui travaille sur les sources ottomanes est conscient de la difficulté de lire correctement les toponymes étrangers. En raison des spécificités du turc ottoman, qui est similaire à l'écriture consonantique arabe, et où certaines des consonnes correspondent à deux ou parfois cinq lettres de l'alphabet latin, des noms et toponymes étrangers spécifiques impliquent toujours des versions différentes.

Aucune autre source sur ce métochion n'a été identifiée et décrite par les chercheurs des archives ottomanes du bureau du Premier ministre à Istanbul (Bashbakanlik arshivi). De même, aucune information similaire n'est fournie par le catalogue.

Selon les sources, le tribunal aurait attribué aux Grecs la propriété du terrain qui était adjacent à l'église, ainsi que les cellules appartenant à l'église, mais les Bulgares ont exigé la restitution de cette propriété. Le soutien des Ottomans envers les Bulgares devient évident. Le gouverneur Ibrahim affirme qu'il n'y a pas de Grecs autour de cette église, ce qui est moins probable après tout, le gouverneur lui-même précise le nombre d'églises grecques à titre d'exemple.

Selon ces sources, la décision finale est inconnue. La source originale d'Istanbul classée chronologiquement est un document du Patriarcat, basé sur un télégramme du métropolite Emélianos de Melnik.

Le télégramme, daté du 25 mars 1911, annonce la remise de l'église de Rozhen aux Bulgares. Apparemment, les Ottomans, secrètement des Grecs, ont décidé de concéder la propriété de l'église de Rozhen aux Bulgares ce qui est suggéré par les mots - &ldquoin violation de la loi de l'Eglise»- indiqués dans le télégramme du métropolite Emélianos. Apparemment, cela a été suivi par la réaction des Grecs, qui devient évidente d'après les rapports découverts par les Ottomans et envoyés au Grand Vizir, comme indiqué dans les sources ci-dessous.

Transcription du texte ottoman :

La copie du télégramme au Patriarcat envoyé le 25 mars 1911 par le métropolite Emélianos de Melnik de Demir Hisar :

Selon le journal Rumelia, l'église de Rozhen à Melnik appartenant au monastère d'Iviron, qui n'a jamais fait l'objet de litige, a été remise aux Bulgares.

La copie d'un autre télégramme envoyé par le même Métropolite à la même date :

En violant la loi ecclésiastique, sur ordre du gouverneur de Thessalonique, l'église du monastère de Rozhen est remise aux Bulgares.

Selon le télégramme, daté du 27 mars 1911, envoyé par le gouverneur de Thessalonique Ibrahim au ministère de la Justice, le gouverneur informe le ministère de la nécessité de transférer l'église de Rozhen aux Bulgares, car la zone spécifiée est devenue un sujet de désaccord depuis des années. .

&ldquoD'ailleurs, aucun individu grec ne se rassemble autour de cette église alors que c'est la seule que possèdent les Bulgares. Comme indiqué précédemment via le télégramme, les Grecs possèdent 78 à 80 églises et plusieurs grands monastères. Par conséquent, les pièces et annexes appartenant à l'église, en dehors de l'église elle-même, devraient être remises aux Bulgares, car les Grecs refusent de permettre aux Bulgares d'utiliser cette propriété. Jusqu'à ce que la propriété susmentionnée soit en possession des Grecs, la question controversée entraînera en permanence des défis. En conséquence, cette question du monastère va dégénérer, ce qui ne devrait pas être toléré afin de plaire au Patriarcat. Selon les informations obtenues (par nous) au cours de cette période, les Grecs ont affecté un prêtre étranger à l'endroit susmentionné pour tenter de politiser cette question. Nous sommes impatients de recevoir votre réponse afin de résoudre le problème.

La troisième source est un rapport envoyé au ministère des Affaires civiles et religieuses. Il traite de la réponse reçue concernant la réponse grecque à la question du monastère qui avait déjà été transférée aux Bulgares. Il semble que les Turcs essaient de mieux comprendre la question, tout en gardant temporairement inchangée la décision antérieure, comme l'indique le rapport. Il convient de noter que le début du 20e siècle a été une période particulièrement difficile pour l'Empire ottoman, tant en termes de circonstances intérieures qu'étrangères. Pendant les temps troublés, provoquer une querelle entre les nations, en particulier en raison d'une question religieuse, aurait pu devenir un problème plus important à gérer pour l'État ottoman.

Au ministère des Affaires civiles et religieuses.

L'église Rozhen à Melnik, c'est-à-dire le métochion du monastère d'Iviron sur le mont Athos, fait l'objet d'une controverse. Le Patriarcat grec déclare que le transfert de ce métochion aux Bulgares est devenu une question urgente à cet égard, à travers des réunions et des entretiens tenus dans le vilayet de Thessalonique, il a été établi que le 15 mars 1327 (28 mars 1911), selon aux rapports (№ 29) découverts par le Grand Vizir, ce monastère, étant en possession du Monastère d'Iviron, ainsi que le metochion n'étaient pas considérés comme des lieux de prière et, en vertu de la loi ecclésiastique et de la décision du juge public, le La question de Rozhen a fait l'objet d'une enquête et est réputée faire l'objet d'une décision provisoire.

Le rapport même №29 (dont le Grand Vizir avait eu connaissance, comme indiqué dans la source ci-dessus) fournit un bref aperçu de la question controversée et, en conclusion, décrit les intérêts de l'État ottoman à l'égard de la question, comme discuté ci-dessus.

Un télégramme a été envoyé au vilayet de Thessalonique indiquant que 78 à 80 églises de Melnik appartenaient à des Grecs, tandis que l'église de Rozhen mentionnée ci-dessus, qui était depuis longtemps un sujet de controverse, était le seul lieu de prière pour les Bulgares. En vertu de la décision antérieure du tribunal, la question litigieuse avait été réglée en faveur des Bulgares avec un contrôle ultérieur sur l'église, cependant, les salles (cellules) et les annexes appartenant à l'église restaient sous la propriété grecque.

Dans ces circonstances, le problème ne peut pas être considéré comme résolu et les problèmes persisteront, par conséquent, ils (c'est-à-dire les cellules et les annexes) devraient nécessairement et de préférence être remis aux Bulgares. Selon le télégramme envoyé par le bureau du gouverneur de Thessalonique, les Grecs ont installé une serrure sur la porte de l'église et envoyé un prêtre étranger, ajoutant ainsi des connotations politiques à l'affaire. Par conséquent, le problème nécessite une résolution immédiate afin d'éviter tout dommage à la relation entre les deux éléments (c'est-à-dire les Bulgares et les Grecs), et d'éviter toute confrontation entre eux, ce que je recommande vivement de considérer.

D'autre part, selon les règlements des monastères Athos, la propriété des églises affectées par le problème n'apporte aucun bénéfice à la population, et les locaux ainsi que les cellules des moines appartenant à ce monastère font partie de ses possessions et, ne devraient pas sinon être considérée comme une entité distincte, comme indiqué dans les règlements susmentionnés. Les actions nécessaires et la décision (concernant cette question) restent du ressort du Grand Vizir.

Ministère de la Justice et des Religions. 28 mars 1911.

La dernière source (c'est-à-dire la source №5) à notre disposition est datée du 20 mars 1327 (2 avril 1911) et elle comprend la décision du Grand Vizir. Il indique qu'une décision temporaire n'est pas considérée comme acceptable (münasip görülmediğini) puisque la loi de l'Église ne couvre pas le monastère et les metochions de plus, étant assez différent, cette région n'est pas considérée comme un lieu de prière (soi-disant, cela implique que territorialement ce n'est pas le mont Athos). L'enquête sur cette question devrait être poursuivie et la décision temporaire devrait être considérée comme inacceptable, ce dont l'organisme compétent du vilayet de Thessalonique devrait être informé. Ainsi, à la suite d'une prétendue intervention de la part des Grecs, le Grand Vizir, en l'espace d'une semaine seulement, a retiré la décision concernant la remise de l'église du monastère de Rozhen aux Bulgares.

A l'organe de régulation des affaires civiles et religieuses

Depuis la remise de la propriété aux Bulgares est devenue une question de haute urgence en ce qui concerne les églises contestées de la métochion de Rozinia sous le monastère d'Iviron sur le mont Athos, et à la suite de discussions au Patriarcat grec et de rassemblements dans le vilayet de Thessalonique , comme vous le savez bien, la loi ecclésiastique ne couvre pas le monastère et les métochions de plus, les emplacements mentionnés ci-dessus sont ceux de type différent, plutôt que simplement les lieux de prière. Par conséquent, une enquête plus approfondie est indispensable. Le vilayet (Thessalonique) doit être informé que la question en discussion ne peut se limiter à une résolution temporaire.

2 avril 1911. Grand Vizir

Malheureusement, les sources ottomanes ne donnent aucune idée de ce qui est arrivé au monastère de Rozhen, le metochion du monastère d'Iviron, avant la chute de l'empire ottoman. Espérons que d'autres études à cet égard éclaireront l'histoire du monastère d'Iviron à l'époque ottomane afin de combler pleinement les lacunes de l'histoire de l'un des plus importants centres d'enseignement géorgiens à l'étranger.


Monastère de Rozhen, Melnik

Le monastère de Rozhen de la Nativité de la Mère de Dieu (en bulgare : Роженски манастир "Рождество Богородично", Rozhenski manastir "Rozhdestvo Bogorodichno", en grec : Μονή Ροζινού, Moni Rozinou) est le plus grand monastère niché du sud de la Bulgarie. les pyramides terrestres de Melnik. C'est l'un des rares monastères bulgares médiévaux bien conservés jusqu'à aujourd'hui.

La première preuve archéologique de la vie médiévale à l'endroit est une tombe avec quelques pièces de monnaie et décorations de l'époque de l'empereur byzantin Michel VIII Paléologue (1259-1282). Certains autres éléments datent également du XIIIe siècle tandis que la frise de marbre au-dessus du portail central de l'église date du XIIIe ou du XIVe siècle. Quelques nouveaux bâtiments ont été construits dans le monastère à l'époque du despote Alexius Slav. La première source écrite témoignant de l'existence du monastère est une note sur un livre de chant de 1551, aujourd'hui dans la bibliothèque de la Grande Laure sur le mont Athos.

L'église du monastère a été construite avant le XVe siècle et peinte en 1597, certaines de ces fresques sont conservées. En 1611, la façade sud est peinte. Le monastère de Rozhen a été dévasté par un incendie entre 1662 et 1674, détruisant la bibliothèque et endommageant gravement la plupart des bâtiments. Le monastère a été restauré au cours du siècle suivant avec l'aide financière de riches Bulgares de tout le pays. La reconstruction a commencé en 1715 et a été entièrement achevée en 1732.

Le monastère a atteint son apogée au 19ème siècle, lorsqu'il était un centre régional du christianisme orthodoxe et possédait beaucoup de terres dans la région. La tombe du célèbre révolutionnaire bulgare Yane Sandanski est située près du monastère.


Monastère de Rozhen - Histoire

Emplacement: Le monastère de Rozhen est situé sur les basses terres de la montagne Pirin - l'une des plus belles montagnes de la péninsule des Balkans. Le monastère est situé à 6 km de la ville la plus petite et la plus pittoresque de Bulgarie – Melnik. Depuis le monastère de Rozhen, on peut profiter d'une vue magnifique sur les environs proches et les collines de la montagne.

Histoire: Selon les annales conservées au mont Athos, le monastère a été construit en 890 et développé pendant la période du règne du despote Alexy Slav, un souverain de la région sous le règne du tsar Kaloyan (1197-1207). Il a été reconstruit en 1715, tandis que l'église, qui fait partie du monastère, a été achevée en 1732. Au cours du XIXe siècle, le saint monastère a atteint l'apogée de sa gloire et s'est transformé en un centre culturel régional.

Informations générales: Le monastère de Rozhen est le plus grand monastère de la région de la montagne Pirin et l'un des rares monastères bulgares médiévaux qui ont été conservés jusqu'à nos jours. L'église du monastère "Sainte Nativité de la Vierge Marie" existe dans son aspect actuel depuis la fin du XVIIIe siècle. Il a trois dômes, un narthex et une petite chapelle du côté nord. C'est là que la relique la plus précieuse du monastère est conservée - l'icône miraculeuse de la Vierge Marie. Les bâtiments du monastère ont été construits à différentes époques. Les plus anciennes sont la salle à manger des moines, l'ossuaire et plusieurs bâtiments agricoles, qui datent d'avant le grand incendie du monastère au XVIIe siècle. La fête du monastère est célébrée le 8 septembre, jour de la Nativité de la Mère de Dieu. Ce jour-là, l'icône miraculeuse est sortie dans la cour, où des milliers de croyants viennent rendre hommage à la Vierge Marie. Aujourd'hui, le monastère de Rozhen est bien entretenu et est ouvert aux visiteurs toute l'année.

Reliques et objets de valeur : De nombreuses peintures murales de valeur, des taches de verre, des icônes et des supports d'icônes uniques en bois sculpté ont été conservés dans le monastère de Rozhen. Certains d'entre eux datent du XVIe au XVIIIe siècle. Les peintures murales qui ornent le narthex de l'église principale sont les plus anciennes, probablement du XVIe siècle. Ils représentent principalement les actes de Jésus-Christ après sa résurrection. C'est là qu'est stockée une riche collection d'icônes qui remontent du 16e au 19e siècle. La plus importante d'entre elles est l'icône « Vierge Hodegetria » (XVIe siècle), qui est située dans le stand d'icônes de la chapelle. La collection du monastère comprend de magnifiques modèles de la plaque de l'église - croix, boîtier, chandeliers, encensoirs et autres. Les objets les plus anciens trouvés dans le monastère de Rozhen remontent au 12ème siècle - ce sont des décorations et des pièces de monnaie de l'époque de l'empereur byzantin Michel VIII Paléologue. C'est là que l'on peut voir la célèbre icône de la Vierge Marie, qui est conservée dans une arche de la chapelle « Saints Côme et Damien ».


Notre histoire

À l'automne 1962, alors que Vatican II commençait à Rome, quatre sœurs de la communauté cistercienne de Notre-Dame de Nazareth à Brecht, en Belgique, embarquent à bord du transatlantique « Rotterdam ». Les sœurs, toujours vêtues d'habits et de voiles, se dirigent vers la Californie du Nord pour fonder une nouvelle communauté cistercienne.

Leur départ, dont celui de la jeune et dynamique abbesse de Nazareth, M. Myriam Dardenne, fut un événement capital dans la vie de leur communauté, qui n'avait été constituée que douze ans auparavant.

Fondé en réponse au nombre croissant de vocations flamandes à une époque où les seuls monastères cisterciens de femmes en Belgique étaient francophones, Notre-Dame de Nazareth avait connu une croissance rapide.

En 1960, la communauté était prête à s'étendre à l'étranger.

Les premiers plans se tournaient vers l'Afrique, vers ce qui était alors le Congo belge (plus tard le Zaïre, maintenant à nouveau le Congo). Au début des années 1960, cependant, la violence et la volatilité politique de la situation ont rendu cette décision impraticable. Déçues, les sœurs de Nazareth ont cherché des possibilités alternatives en Afrique ou en Amérique latine. En 1961, une proposition surprenante de l'abbé général de l'Ordre, Dom Gabriel Sortais, changea complètement le sens de leur recherche. La proposition était qu'ils devraient fonder un nouveau monastère pour les femmes en Californie du Nord, sur une propriété qui avait été donnée à l'Ordre, à cette fin.

Après une exploration préliminaire de cette option, la communauté de Nazareth a approuvé la proposition. Une généreuse contribution financière de l'Abbaye de Westmalle en Belgique a rendu possible la nouvelle fondation avec le soutien supplémentaire des maisons cisterciennes de la Région américaine, Notre-Dame des Séquoias a été créée.

Toutes les nouvelles fondations sont des aventures dans l'inconnu, et cela n'a pas fait exception. Les quatre à bord du Rotterdam ont dû ressentir ce mélange d'excitation et d'appréhension qui accompagne toutes les grandes entreprises. Après une traversée en mer agitée, le navire a accosté au port de New York et les sœurs se sont lancées dans la prochaine étape de leur voyage à travers le continent. Après quelques arrêts en chemin pour rendre visite à leurs frères et sœurs cisterciens, ils arrivèrent à Whitethorn, en Californie, le 31 octobre 1962.

À cette époque, la région était essentiellement sous-développée et peu peuplée. Conformément aux plus anciennes traditions cisterciennes, la nouvelle fondation a été implantée dans le "désert". Habitués aux vastes panoramas et aux forêts modestes de leur Belgique natale pour la plupart plate, les nouveaux arrivants ont été confrontés à un paysage vallonné et à des forêts apparemment infinies de séquoias majestueux et de sapin de Douglas. Bien qu'impressionnants, les arbres imposants ont contribué à un nouveau sentiment d'enfermement et d'isolement. Non seulement les sœurs étaient confrontées au défi d'apprendre une nouvelle langue, mais elles devaient s'adapter à la vie dans une nature inconnue et inquiétante.

Heureusement pour les fondatrices, la figure familière du P. Roger de Ganck les a précédés en Californie. Moine de l'abbaye cistercienne de Westmalle en Belgique, Roger avait été pendant de nombreuses années aumônier de la communauté de Nazareth. Ecrivain et érudit versé dans l'histoire ancienne des cisterciens, le P. Roger a accepté de se joindre à la nouvelle fondation en tant qu'aumônier.

Lorsqu'elles sont arrivées lors de cet Halloween propice en 1962, les sœurs ont été encouragées de trouver – déjà au travail – un certain nombre de moines de l'abbaye « voisine » de New Clairvaux, à Vina, en Californie. Les liens de charité qui unissent nos deux communautés sont encore forts, mais dans les premières années l'aide des moines de Vina était indispensable.

La tâche immédiate qui leur était confiée était de préparer les locaux pour l'arrivée prévue de huit autres sœurs de Nazareth. Pendant que les frères travaillaient à l'élévation des bâtiments provisoires, les sœurs travaillaient à créer les conditions de la vie monastique.

La première église a été rapidement établie dans la petite cabane en séquoia qui avait autrefois servi de bibliothèque à l'ancien propriétaire de la propriété, Bob Usher. Ici, l'office divin était célébré avec les sœurs assises l'une en face de l'autre dans des stalles de fortune.

À la fin des années 1960, le monastère avait été transformé. Le groupe original de quatre avait été rejoint par leurs nouvelles sœurs belges. Certains sont restés, d'autres ont décidé de retourner dans leur pays natal. Pour ceux qui sont restés, le processus d'enculturation s'est intensifié lorsque des religieuses américaines ont commencé à entrer dans la communauté de Redwoods. Conformément aux réformes de Vatican II et au renouveau de l'Ordre cistercien, les sœurs ont choisi d'embrasser et de développer une liturgie de langue anglaise.

Une fois qu'il était clair que la communauté était là pour rester, le programme de construction a commencé. De manière appropriée, étant donné la valeur monastique suprême de l'hospitalité, la première structure permanente construite sur la propriété était la maison d'hôtes.

Construites en 1964 pour recevoir les retraitants et les membres de la famille en visite, ces salles sont encore utilisées aujourd'hui. The monastery and church, built in a style that honors simplicity while making ample use of the beauty of the surroundings, were ready to be blessed in 1967. The wood cabins that serve as living quarters for the sisters were completed in 1976.

Today, Whitethorn, California (where the monastery is located) is still a remote and beautiful area, known quite aptly as the Lost Coast. The nearest town, Redway-Garberville is a good forty minute drive down a narrow winding road while San Francisco, the closest metropolitan city to the monastery, lies more than 220 miles away.

"The fact remains that people are called to the monastic life, so that they may grow and be transformed, &lsquoreborn&rsquo to a new and more complete identity and to a more profoundly fruitful existence in peace, in wisdom, in creativity, in love."


The Rila Monastery

is located in 1147 meters altitude in the middle of the fragrant coniferous forests of Rila Mountain.

The monastery is a complex of cultural, dwelling and farming buildings which take about 8800 square meters. The Rila Monastery has an unique architecture. Outside, the monastery looks like a fortress. It has 24-meter stone walls which forms irregular pentagon. That’s why when some tourist enters the monastery’s yard from some of the two iron gates he is surprised by its architecture: arches and colonnades, covered wooden stairs and carved verandas and the 300-400 monastic cells. The Hreliov’s tower and the main church “The Nativity of the Virgin” cohabit at the center of the yard. This tower was created by the local feudal lord Hrelio in 1334-1335. A small church stays next to it and it is only a couple of years younger (1343). A bell-tower was added to the tower in 1844. The main church “The Nativity of the Virgin” was built in these times. Its architect is a master Peter Ivanovich, who worked on it in 1834-1837. The temple has five domes, three altars and two chapels. Maybe the most important thing in the church is the iconostasis which has incredible wood-carving. The wall-paintings were completed in 1846 by many masters from Bulgaria, but only Zahary Zagraph signed his paintings. In the church there are lots of icons created in XIV-XIX.

The monastery has also its own library which is very rich in literally material. There are stored lots of important Bulgarian written records – about 250 manuscript books from XI-XIX, 9000 old-printed books, manuscripts and so on. The museum, located in the monastery has a rich exposition – historical collection of 35 000 exponents, rich collections of icons, wood-carvings, cultural and ethnographical items. The museum has an unique work of art, called the Cross of Rafail. It is made of a whole piece of wood (81-43 centimeters) and it’s called to its creator. The monk used fine chisels, small knives and lentils to carve 104 religious stages and 650 small figures. It took him more than 12 years to complete his work. It’s completed in 1802 – then its creator lost his eyesight.

In spite of the big area which the monastery has, it is not able to show its treasures at the same time – that’s why there are lots of temporary expositions in the monastery and out of it.

The Rila Monastery was founded in the 30-th years of X century on the place of the Old Anchoress in Rila Mountain. While the monastery has been existing, it was many times rebuilt, destroyed and reconstructed. Today the Rila Monastery has had this appearance since the middle of the previous century. It is the biggest and the most respected Bulgarian monastery.

It is considered that the creator of the Rila Monastery is the first Bulgarian hermit Ivan Rilsky (876-946), he chose to live in this way as a method of spiritual perfection and a way to express his protest against the suppression of the high moral rules of the real Christianity. The Bulgarian saint was born in the 70-th years of IX century. He was a witness of the decline of the First Bulgarian Kingdom at the time of king Peter I and Saint Ivan Rilsky became the most respected saint in the Orthodox Christianity in that time. At the time of the Byzantine slavery the established brotherhood was turned into a monastery. At the beginning of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom the relics of Saint Ivan Rilsky was displaced to the capital of the country Veliko Tarnovo as the most important relic for the Bulgarians.

That the monastery has been existed for a millennium and that the Rila monks has been aware of the mission of books are the factors that produced the monastery library which can rival Europeans counterparts. The abundant collection comprise works that have been written in the monastery, works that have been commissioned to eminent men of letters and books and manuscripts that have been donated or bought.

Fot centuries the Rila Monastery has been the centre of intensive literacy activities. Outstanding educators, anonymous copyists, manuscript illuminators and book-binders spent years working there. As a result of their work today the library collection is one of the richest in the Balkans.

Among the men of letters who worked at the Rila Monastery were the grammarian Spiridon, hieromonk Anastasy, Vladislav Grammaticus, Nikifor, Yossif Bradati and the great National Revival educator and champion for secular education Neophit Rilski who brought to light all manuscripts, catalogued the library and invested a lot of effort to make it a public library which was open to the numerous pilgrims visiting the monastery.


The National Revival Period transformed the Rila Monastery into a major educational and cultural centre of the Bulgarian lands. The literary school evolved into an educational institution where some of the most prominent enlighteners of the nation received their education. The library opened its gates to inquisitive pilgrims and this is testified by the numerous marginal notes found in the old books. Thus very naturally it acquired the functions of a public library and paved the way to the community centre libraries which became very common during the National Revival.

The Rila Monastery Library manuscript collection comprises Slavic and Greek records dating from the 11th to mid-19th century. In addition to their literary merit these records have artistic merits. Most of them have illuminations which show the Bulgarian tradition in that art. It is noteworthy that despite the large number of service books in Greek, the monastery churches and chapels never heard service in Greek although it is evident the monks had good knowledge of the language which they could speak and in which they could read and write.

The Rila Monastery collection of printed books the earliest of which date from early 16th century comprises valuable items: a Tetraevangelia from 1512 that was published I Turgovishte, books that were printed in the Venice printing house which was established in 1619, many Russian old printed books, several of very rare editions that were printed in Vilno, of the Kievan-Pechora Laura, Moscow printed prologues.

The long history of the buildings in the Rila Monastery goes back to late 10th century when the monastic community that the Rila hermit had founded put up the first buildings not far from the cave which he occupied.

Since the 15th century and particularly during the Bulgarian National Revival the numbers of pilgrims increased significantly and a large group of service buildings appeared around the monastery. The reception buildings of the metochia and the sketae along the river Rilska where there were places associated with the patron saint’s worship were renovated during the same period. In this way several architectural ensembles appeared whose purpose was to provide shelter and also to prepare worshippers mentally for their encounter with the holiest place in Bulgaria.

The first thing that the visitors of the monastery see as they set foot on the Rila Mountain is the Orlitsa metochion which in the course of almost five centuries has been receiving pilgrims coming from the western parts of Bulgaria. In 1469 the Church of St. Peter and Paul was built to lay the relics of St. Ioan of Rila after they had been returned to the monastery. In 1491 a group of icon painters decorated the church which had been redesigned in 1478.

The next metochion which is closer to the monastery is called Pchelino. It was here that the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin was put up in the late 18th century and decorated with frescoes in 1835 by Dimiter Molerov.

The Hermitage of St. Ioan of Rila is northeast of the monastery and farthest. It stands where the cave in which the hermit lived is and where he was initially buried. For this reason the Church of the Assumption of St. Ioan of Rila was built in 1746. It is a single nave, single apse building with narthex. In 1820 it was rebuilt and became what it is today.

A path leads from the Hermitage to the monastery. Along the path there are several picturesque buildings built down a steep slope. This is the Steke of St. Luke, also known as the New hermitage. The oldest building here is the late 17th century Church of St. Luke the Evangelist. It was painted in 1798-1799 when carvers from Bansko carved wooden iconostasis. The surviving frescoes are a product of the Toma Vishanov's brush , called Molera from Bansko who had studied in the Central Europe and introduced baroque elements in the Bulgarian ecclesiastical art, creating expressive and ethereal paintings which were new for those times.

The second church of the ensemble, the Shroud of the Virgin, was put up in 1805 over the holy fountain by the builders Mihail and Radoitsa from the village of Rila. It has a large semi-open exonartes with an outdoor structure whose walls were painted by Toma Vishanov in 1811.


A small group of buildings that are enclosed by a stone wall is very near to the monastery. It includes the cemetery church and the monastery ossuary, several buildings with living premises and the monastery cemetery. The cemetery church of the Presentation of the Virgin where the brethren served their funeral service dates probably from the early 17th century. Like most medieval ossuaries it is on two levels and is a small lavishly decorated one-aisle church. Its frescoes from 1795 are characteristic of the style of a group of Bulgarian artists who worked on Mount Athos during the 18th and 19th centuries. Its iconostasis is noted for its elegant proportions and beautiful wood encarving.

Between the 10th and 14th centuries the Monastery changed places several times.

In the 14th century Hrelyo Dragovol, a feudal lord whose domain comprised the lands around the river Strouma, transformed the monastery into a solidly fortified and imposing architectural ensemble. This is proved by the remains of solid walls in the southwestern corner of the monastery courtyard unearthed during archeological excavations and also by the prominent tower which still stands in the courtyard and by the paintings in the monastery church built by the feudal lord and surviving until the mid-19th century.

Large-scale building work began some time during mid-18th century and after 1816 the monastery already had high solid residential buildings which enclosed the courtyard in the shape of an irregular quadrangle.

January 13, 1833 was one of the most tragic days in the long history of the monastery. The fire which broke out during the night destroyed almost completely the residential quarters. That was a national calamity and soon people began sending donations for the monastery’s restoration. Thousands of masons, carpenters and auxiliary workers arrived to work and did not get payment for their work. Only for a couple of years the buildings were restored.

Three Bulgarian master builders (purvomaistori) were in charge of the construction works whose scale was unprecedented in those times. They were Alexi from the village of Rila, called Alexi Rilets, who built the northern parts of the east and the west wings, Milenko from the village of Radomir who built the south wing ‘architecton’ Pavel from the village of Krimin who built the church which at the time was the largest in the Balkans. The decoration of the main church, the chapels and the visitors’ rooms was completed by 1870. at that time the monastery looked as we know it today.

The church of the Nativity of the Virgin is the monastery’s main church and the core of the architectural ensemble. Its construction began in 1835. That was an event of paramount importance for the entire Bulgarian nation. The innovative daring and the flexibility with which tradition has been interpreted in the architectural design of its imposing church reveals the nature of art during the National Revival Period.


This church building is unique in the Balkans. It was built by the then widely known master builder Pavel from the village of Krimin who had worked on Mount Athos and from where he borrowed the original spatial design of the church. The compositional scheme includes medieval elements and baroque spatial principles, an approach which distinguishes Bulgarian church architecture and whose features are observed in the art of the epoch.

The wall paintings in the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin were made by the most prominent Bulgarian painters at the time. Most of them were from Samokov where the artists of the Zograph (Painter) family, Zahari Zograph, Dimiter H. Zograph and Stanislav Dospevski, worked. In the 1840s they were joined by Ivan Obrazopissets and his son Nikola Obrazopissets. There was a group of artist of Bansko led by Dimiter Molerov, and many other unknown assistants. In the course of several years, at the cost of great effort, to quote Neophit Rilski, they completed the church interior walls, the domes, the facades hidden under the arcade and its small domes and produced 40 large icons for the iconostases and many other smaller ones.

The central iconostasis is the work of a group of woodcarvers who worked under the supervision of Atanas Teladour. They spent three years working on it, from 1839 to 1842, investing it with experience of several generations of carvers who founded the Bulgarian school of wood carving. The size and composition of the iconostasis are unrivaled in the Balkans. Same as architecture it follows the traditions of the school combining time-honoured element of space and as a unifying element emphasizing the centre of the basilica.

The carving which covers it from end to end is somewhat different from the carving on other iconostases. Here everything is bigger to harmonize with the large space inside the church. The carving differs from filigree miniature and is more like sculpted rather than carved.

The colours of this huge iconostasis are in harmony with the rich colours of the interior. In the dim church space frames by the painted walls, illuminated by the hundreds of candles burning in the candleholders, the iconostases’ gilded carved surfaces glitter and reflect upon the brightly coloured icons merging with the church space forming a complete artistic whole.

The monastery which was visited by many people had to provide accommodation and amenitites to the pilgrims. Some Bulgarian towns had their own guest rooms offering accommodation only to their notables. The Koprivshtitsa, Chirpan, Gabrovo and Teteven rooms have been presented to this day. They are in the north wing which is like an ethnographic exposition.

The monastery kitchen is on the ground floor of the same wing. The food for pilgrims was cooked there. The kitchen is large and has an overhead opening in the shape of the huge stone chimney which goes through all the levels to take smoke from the fire to the roof and out. It is in the shape of a hollow pyramid whose walls are built by octahedrons which grow smaller. The spaces between them have been filled up by semicircular arcs. The result is an ideally balanced self-supporting 22 meter high construction whose lightness and strength have been provided in the course of more than a century.


The prints, graphic impressions upon copper plates of wood, were of special significance for the popularization of the monastery and the history of its founder. There were two common types: St Ioan of Rila with miniature scenes from his life, and the monastery itself with the main sketae and metochia along the rive Rilska. Those prints were available even to the poorer pilgrims and thus popularized the Rila Monastery across the Balkan lands, serving as books for the illiterate who could learn from them the legends about the monastery and St Ivan of Rila. Initially the monastic community commissioned the prints in Moscow or Vienna. However, as demand for such prints was growing during the 19th century, a monk Kalislearn the craft of print-making and in 1856 the monastery acquired a large iron press and opened its own workshop for the production of prints. The output of the latter was large. Nevertheless the prints that it turned out were not inferior and some even could view with art primitives.

The printing press that the monastery bought the 1860s from Vienna is also on display in the monastery museum. The repositories keep most of handmade copper printing plates and prints produced with them.

The Rila Monastery museum collections trace its history over the countries and reveal its role in Bulgaria’s cultural history. In the course of the centuries the Rila Monastery maintained lively relations with the countries of the Eastern Orthodox world the metochia that were scattered in all Balkan Peninsula lands with Bulgarian population did educational work the monastery repository holds records, books, church plate, icons and gifts from pilgrims.

The Rila Monastery History Museum possesses a rich collection of extremely valuable exhibits both in the exposition halls and in the monastery vaults. The exhibits are thematically grouped and trace the evolution of the monastery and its cultural, religious and nation-consolidation role.

The exposition includes the early historical and ecclesiastical collection of the monastery, some books of the monastery library and many copies of wall paintings that have been destroyed, icons, prints, vestments and church plate.

In 1980 the International Federation of Travel Writers and Journalists (FIJEST) distinguished the Monastery with Golden Apple, the highest award for familiarization and cultural tourism. Ion 1983 the Rila Monastery was recorded on the List of World Cultural Heritage as a world cultural value. Again at that time it got the status of a national museum, so the government started subsiding the museum collections, conservation and restoration of the wall paintings and the architectural heritage. A decree of the Council of Ministries of the Republic of Bulgaria reinstated the monastic status of the Rila Monastery in 1991, so today it is again the largest religious centre in the Bulgarian lands.

Through „The Rila Monastery”, Prof. Dr Margarita Koeva Translation: Kostadin Marinov


Rendez-vous

Day 0. Individual Arrivals

For those who want to spend a day exploring Sofia, we can arrange overnights in Sofia and airport transfers. Voir Practical Information for prices.

Day 1. Arrival to Sofia

Arrival to Sofia Airport. Group transfer from Sofia Airport to Plovdiv at latest 14:00. Check-in to your centrally located 3-star hotel. Guided walking tour of Plovdiv and Old Town Plovdiv (2h). Plovdiv is the oldest continuously inhabited city in Europe and one of the oldest cities in the world. The ancient city is also the cultural heart of Bulgaria. Plovdiv will be European Capital of Culture in 2019. Your first day in Bulgaria ends with a welcome dinner!

Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Plovdiv

Day 2. Wines from The Valley of Roses

Plovdiv – Chateau Copsa – Sopot Winery – Plovdiv

We start the day with a visit to Chateau Copsa located in the foothills of the gorgeous Balkan mountains. The chateau is a high-quality wine producer, and we get to try a native wine from the grape ‘Karlovski Misket’ during our tasting of 5 wines. The Misket grape is a native variety that takes its name from the nearby town of Karlovo. Continue our day in the Valley of Roses at a nearby winery – Sopot Winery. At Sopot Winery, we enjoy a lunch paired with wines before we take a walk through the winery. We head back to Plovdiv in the late afternoon. The evening is free to explore the city further at your own pace. Your tour leader will be happy to help with restaurant recommendations and bookings.

Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Plovdiv

Day 3. Exploring the Plovdiv Wine Region

Plovdiv – Manastira Winery – Villa Yustina – Plovdiv

A lot of fun wine adventures are planned today. You will learn about the region surrounding Plovdiv (The Thracian Valley), enjoy gorgeous views, visit 2 different wineries and taste a total of 10 wines. The first winery is Manastira Winery, which is located about 1 hour from Plovdiv in a scenic region known for its culture, history and wine making. The boutique wine cellar opens it doors and invites us into the modern estate for a memorable tour and tasting of 5 wines. Continue to Villa Yustina for a walk through the vineyard park and a spectacular wine-paired lunch in the charming tasting room. Return to Plovdiv. Your evening is free to enjoy. Your tour leader will be happy to help with restaurant recommendations and bookings.

Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Plovdiv

Day 4. Discover The South Sakar Micro-Region

Plovdiv – Bratanov Family Winery – Chateau Kolarovo – Villa Bassarea (Sakar Tasting Room) – Plovdiv

After breakfast, we head to the South Sakar micro region. The members of the Bratanov family welcome you into their little wine production facility to taste their wines. Get to know the Bratanov family and enjoy an exclusive tasting in the barrel room. Continue to Chateau Kolarovo to meet the winemaker and enjoy an unforgettable tasting of 5 wines from their impressive range of wines. Enjoy a traditional, village-style lunch. The last stop of the day is Villa Bassarea and the Sakar Tasting Room, where you will be greeted by the friendly team behind this boutique wine cellar and regional tasting room. Return to Plovdiv. Your evening is free to enjoy. Your tour leader will be happy to help with restaurant recommendations and bookings.

Accommodation: 3-star hotel in Plovdiv

Day 5. Entering The Struma Valley Wine Region

After breakfast, check out of the hotel and say goodbye to Plovdiv. Early departure to the region and town of Melnik. Our first stop is the charming family-owned winery – Kiossev Winery. Members of the Kiossev family will guide us through the history of their winery and wine-making family heritage. We enjoy a memorable lunch at the family winery accompanied by a selection of their wines. Continue to the Melnik region. Check-in to a traditional guesthouse. Free evening. There are several options for dinner. Your Tour Leader would be happy to point out the restaurants and assist with making reservations.

Accommodation: Traditional guesthouse in Melnik region

Day 6. All things Melnik

Melnik – Rupel – Villa Melnik – Rozhen Monastery – Melnik

Start the day by taking a guided stroll around the town of Melnik and learning more about the longstanding history, cultural heritage and wine making traditions. Visit a traditional merchant house from the 18th – 19th century. Head out to Rupel Winery for a tour and tasting of 5 wines from the cellar. Enjoy a lovely lunch in a nearby restaurant before continuing to Villa Melnik. The Zikatanovi family give a warm welcome to their family winery. Enjoy an informative walk of the winery and end the day with a fantastic tasting of 5 wines from their collection in the tasting room. In the late afternoon, we visit the picturesque Rozhen monastery – the best preserved monastery from the Middle Ages – before heading back to the guesthouse for some relaxation. Return to your guesthouse. Enjoy a free evening.

Accommodation: Traditional guesthouse in Melnik region

Day 7. Exploring the Melnik Wine Region

Melnik – Orbelia – Orbelus – Melnik

We end the tour on a high note. Today, we visit Orbelia Winery and meet the family behind this family-run winery located under the Belasitsa mountains and not too far from the Macedonian border. We enjoy a tour and a memorable tasting of a selection of their wines including a few very interesting wines from local grapes. It is time for lunch in a nearby restaurant before we continue to our next destination: Orbelus Winery – a 100% Organic Winery. We enjoy a tour of the cutting edge production process at Orbelus and end the tour with a tasting of a selection of wines in the charming tasting room. In the evening, we enjoy a farewell wine dinner.

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Accommodation: Traditional guesthouse/3-star hotel in Melnik

Day 8. Departure

After breakfast, check-out of your guesthouse. Transfer to Sofia Centre or Sofia Airport (3-3.5 hours). Option to extend stay in Sofia.

Included in the price of the tour:

  • All ground transportation mentioned in itinerary
  • Group transfer from/to Sofia Airport on Day 1 & Day 8
  • 4 nights in 3-star hotel in Plovdiv (standard shared double rooms)
  • 3 nights in traditional guesthouse/3-star hotel in Melnik (standard shared double rooms)
  • Meals as per itinerary
  • Tours and tastings at 11 wineries
  • Guided walking tour of Plovdiv and Old Plovdiv
  • Visits to the Rozhen Monastery & Traditional Merchant House in Melnik
  • English-speaking Tour leader from Bulgaria Wine Tours
  • Tour operator insurance from Armeec Insurance in case of non-provision of services

Not included in the tour price:

  • Flight tickets
  • Private transfers
  • Meals and beverages not mentioned in the tour description
  • Alcoholic beverages not mentioned in the tour description
  • Travel and medical insurance (please, consult your insurance provider)
  • Visa fees, if applicable
  • Extras and incidentals
  • Single room supplement
  • Des astuces

* The BGN/EUR exchange rate is fixed at 1 EUR = 1.95583 BGN (http://www.bnb.bg/?toLang=_EN)

** Price per person is based on double occupancy e.g. two persons sharing a room. Solo traveler is obliged to pay a single supplement.

  • A non-refundable deposit of 30% of the total tour cost is required to be paid within 7 days of the invoice issue date unless otherwise agreed with the Company.
  • The balance of the amount due to the Company must be paid no later than 45 days before departure unless otherwise agreed with the Company.
  • In the event that the Client makes a booking within 45 days of departure of the tour, the full tour price must be paid up-front.

Payments are made in Euros or Bulgarian Leva.

Bank name: Raiffeisen Bank

Bank address: 1 Knyaginya Mariya Luiza Str., Plovdiv 4000

After making a booking and received a booking order, it is possible to pay for your tour by credit or debit card. For online payment (credit/ debit card), please go to http:// payment .bulgariawine tours.com/ and follow the steps.

We will provide confirmation once payment is received.

Pendant le Taste of Southern Bulgaria Group Tour, we will visit the following wineries:

Chateau Copsa

Chateau Copsa is situated in the foothills of the Balkan mountain (Stara Planina) nearby the town of Sopot. According to historians, just outside of today’s city of Sopot, there was once a Medieval town called Copsis, hence the name of the winery. The architecture of Chateau Copsa resembles a Medieval castle and is inspired by the preserved ruins of Copsis. The winery has also embraced the traditions of the area to use and experiment with the local variety Karlovski misket that only grows in this region. Tasting intriguing wines, dining at the modern gourmet restaurant and relaxing at the outdoor area make Chateau Copsa an ideal place for a peaceful time away from the city.

Wine cellar “Manastira” is specialized in producing high-quality wines. It is located in southern Bulgaria, 25 km. away Pazardzhik city, in a deep valley surrounded by the slopes of Sredna Gora, near Topolnitsa River, in the village of Lesichovo. The region is known for its rich culture and historical heritage. The following red grape varieties – Cabernet Sauvignon, Mavrud, Merlot, Syrah, Ancelotta and white grape varieties: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Muscat..The winery and its vineyards are located in a region in Bulgaria, which is most suitable for grape growing – the Thracian Valley. It is famous for its millennial wine traditions. The climate conditions of the region provide a good opportunity for getting rich and deep wines of “Cabernet Sauvignon” and “Mavrud”. The unique combination of climate and soil characteristics favours for the excellent quality of the wines produced in this area. White and red grapes are cultivated in the district, but the red ones dominate in quantity.

Sopot Winery

Sopot Winery is located in the historic town of Sopot and is surrounded by the Balkan Mountains and the Sredna Gora Mountains. Not only are the mountains views beautiful, they create a special micro-climate that is favorable to vinegrowing. The area is called Tragata, which lends its name to the guesthouse located adjacent to the winery and to the wine brand. The winery was opened in 2013 and is owned by the Shikov family. The oenologist is Georgi Chorbadzhakov. At Sopot winery, you will find Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah and Sauvignon Blanc. The restaurant at the winery serves exceptional local Bulgarian food and the hotel garden is a relaxing spot to enjoy a glass of wine and good food in beautiful natural surroundings.

Villa Yustina

Villa Yustina is located in the village of Ustina, about 25 km from Plovdiv. The name of the winery, as well as the village, originates from emperor Justinian I who was an emperor of the East Roman empire in the 1st century AD and who commissioned a fort to be built on the hills by the present village. Villa Yustina began its journey in the wine world in 2006 and soon after in 2011 its main oenologist received the price “Oenologist of the year”. Villa Yustina is a proud birthplace of one of the best cuvees of the local varieties Mavrud and Rubin. Villa Yustina will enchant you with warm hospitality, the beautiful vine park and other outdoor recreational possibilities and if you are lucky enough to meet the owner Milko Tsvetkov, you will also make a lifelong wine friend.

Chateau Kolarovo

Chateau Kolarovo was established in 2009 by Stoyan Stoyanov. Originally from Stara Zagora, his family heritage brought him to the area and urged him to produce wine. As the name suggests Chateau Kolarovo is located in the village of Kolarovo in the southern Sakar mountains. The village of Kolarovo has about nine permanent inhabitants however, there are four wineries in the village. This fact hints towards the fact that the area is highly suitable for viticulture. Chateau Kolarovo does not dazzle with appearance – the building where the winery is at present used to be an old cheese-manufacturing facility. It is quite possible that you might pass by Chateau Kolarovo without realizing that this is the actual winery. However, once you try the wine that is being produced here, it will certainly leave an impression on you and you will be coming back for more.

Villa Bassarea

Villa Bassarea was established in 2014 in Harmanli by three friends (Todor Bratanov, Kiril Bratanov and winemaker Kamen Koev). They were driven by a common dream – to produce small batches of wines with distinctive character from local grapes combining modern technology with the traditions of our ancestors. For the making of each of the wines, grapes from the region (mainly near the village of Izvorovo), cultivated by prominent local winegrowers, are used. Some vineyards are more than forty years old, which provides the distinctive character of wines produced. Classis technologies are used with an estreme amount of hard manual labor. The capacity of the cellar is 70 tons and they produce three main series (brands): “Labis”, “Villa Bassarea” and “Image”. The name of the cellar comes from “Bassareus”, which is the Thracian nickname of Dionysus. One of their limited edition wines with only 400 bottles is called “Saratok”and honors the first Thracian ruler with his portrait image on a coin pictures alongside a vine and a grape. On a visit to Villa Bassarea, it is highly likely to meet the owners and winemakers. The newly opened Sakar Tasting Room is a joint project led by the team behind Villa Bassarea.

Bratanov Family Winery

Bratanov is a typical family winery. It was created through the hard work of a father and his sons. The recently deceased Mr. Stoycho Bratanov and his two sons, who co-manage the winery along with other family members, descend from a long line of winemakers. His great grandfather owned vineyards in the very same vineyards, where the current vineyards lie. Situated almost at the point where the Maritsa River divides the Rhodope Mountain from the Sakar Mountain, the winery has boldly entered the Bulgarian wine market. Some of their wines have been awarded medals from prestigious competitions such as Decanter and the Balkan International Wine Competition. Such recognition has not shifted the focus and ambition of Bratanov Family Winery – it still remains very much a family affair and everyone is deeply connected to the winery. Do not be surprised when the Bratanovi Family welcome you to their winery as if they are welcoming you to into their home.

Kiossev Boutique Wine Cellar

A family-run boutique wine cellar situated in the family home in a picturesque village. The wine cellar produces high-quality wines and has a high focus on local grapes such as Broadleaved Melnik, Melnik 55 and Melnik Ruen. The wine cellar is run by a father and his son continuing the family tradition of winemaking. The wines are limited series of only 300 – 3000 bottles per series. The serene village surrounded by mountains, the unique wines and the warm welcome of a wine making family makes this winery an unforgettable one.

The small Rupel winery is located in the famous Melnik region that has been producing and trading wine for millennia. Wine making is more than a tradition in this region. It is a way of life. The family winery has vineyards that were re-established around the year 2006. The vineyards are characterized by rich soil characteristics and hot climatic conditions with influence from the Aegean sea giving the entire area a Mediterranean-like environment. They winery has French, Bulgarian and Italian varieties, and produce trendy, high-quality wines. The team behind the winery are passionate about what they do. The winery is also dedicated to welcoming visitors for tastings, and makes you feel very welcome.

Villa Melnik

The Melnik region has been and still is one of the most famous wine regions in Bulgaria. Each year Winston Churchill himself used to purchase 500 litres of the traditional Melnik variety – Shiroka Melnishka loza. With such a history, it is not surprising that one of the newest wineries in the region – Villa Melnik – has quickly gained recognition for its high-quality wine, beautiful winery and warm hospitality. Villa Melnik has even dared to produce wine with its own grown Mavrud variety – traditionally the undisputed master of another wine region in Bulgaria – the Thracian valley. Such boldness and distinct character are typical for Villa Melnik, which makes a visit to the winery indispensable for every wine explorer of the area.

Surrounded by seven mountains in the Melnik region in southwestern Bulgaria lies the organic winery Orbelus. Not only is the wine-making process organic but also the architecture of the winery reduces the input of resources such as lighting, heating and cooling. This provides for a wine experience in full unison with nature. These environmental considerations do not come at the expense of the wine quality Orbelus has already gained international recognition, including a gold medal from the prestigious Millésime Bio Challenge. Staying true to its Melnik origins, Orbelus emphasizes the local varieties and presents them in a different way to its visitors – the organic way.

Arrival/Departure

  • Group transfer on Day 1 is from Sofia Airport to Plovdiv at 14:00. If you arrive in the early morning, you have the option of going into Sofia Centre to explore. If you arrive a day or two before to visit Sofia, we can help with hotel and transfer arrangements.
  • A representative from Bulgaria Wine Tours will meet you in the arrivals hall (terminal 1 & 2) carrying a Bulgaria Wine Tours signe.
  • Group transfer on Day 8 is just after breakfast – 10:00. The arrival time in Sofia is 13:00-13:30. You may be dropped off at Sofia airport or Sofia centre. Please inform us of your preference when you book.
  • For late arrivals on Day 1 or early departures on Day 8, it is necessary to pre-book a private transfer or plan your arrival at the relevant location. We can assist you with that if you wish so.
  • Transport time between Sofia and Plovdiv is 1.5-2 hours.
  • Transport time between Melnik and Sofia is about 3-3.5 hours.

Visa Requirements

  • In general, EU citizens do not require visas to travel to Bulgaria. Citizens of some other countries also do not need visas to travel to Bulgaria. For visa requirements to enter Bulgaria, please consult the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: http://www.mfa.bg/en/pages/109/index.html or the respective institutions in your country of residence.
  • The tour does not require any special medical condition or fitness level. The tour does not involve intensive walking, hiking, or other physical effort apart from the normal efforts for sightseeing.

Additional services or surcharges

  • Please contact us for prices and information on private transfers from Sofia Airport to Plovdiv and/or private transfers from Melnik to Sofia.
  • Extra Nights in Sofia (pre- or post tour) are available upon request:
    • €50 per person/night in a 3-star hotel incl. breakfast (shared standard double-room)
    • €10 per person for an airport meet & greet and transfer to hotel (minimum 2 people required per transfer)*
    • Airport transfer can only be booked in connection with a hotel booking

    For any questions, please contact us at: +359 888 487 113 or email: [email protected] or contact us through the Facebook page – Bulgaria Wine Tours.

    Most importantly, we will do anything we can to make the tour a pleasant and memorable experience for you.


    Masked men tie up priest, attempt robbery at Bulgarian monastery

    Several arrests have been made in connection with an attempted robbery at Bulgaria&rsquos Rozhen Monastery on Tuesday, reports the Sofia Globe.

    The Rozhen Monastery of the Nativity of the Mother of God is one of few well-preserved medieval Bulgarian monasteries and is the largest in the Pirin Mountains in southwestern Bulgaria.

    As the Sofia Globe reports, six masked men entered the monastery at about 8:00 PM on Tuesday. They tied up the priest who was present and began digging into the wall behind the iconostasis in the monastery church with picks and spades. Two of the men stood guard while the other four dug into the wall.

    Local legend holds that there is treasure hidden somewhere in the monastery, but the men left after about half an hour with nothing but the priest&rsquos cell phone. Thankfully, they did not take or damage any of the valuable icons, including the wonderworking copy of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God, or any of the cash donations to the monastery. Fr. Teofil was shaken but uninjured.

    As Bulgarian Orthodox site Dobrotoliubie reports, the Nevrokop Diocese of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church made a statement about the incident:

    With pain and anxiety, we report that in the evening of 09.18.2018 an attack was carried out on the Rozhen Monastery of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos, and physical violence against a priest in the monastery by a group of unknown perpetrators has been carried out and investigations by the competent authorities are currently underway, so access to the monastery will be limited indefinitely.

    The faces of two of the men were captured on the monastery&rsquos security cameras, which aided police in making arrests in the case in Kurdzhali, Sofia, Petrich, and Sandanski.

    Elena Gotseva of the Regional Prosecutor&rsquos Office in Sandanski said that pre-trial proceedings have been initiated but no criminal charges have yet been pressed.


    Voir la vidéo: 2017 08 17 J13 Bulgarie (Octobre 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos